20 awesomely different ways to play a tune on your harmonica
This course shows you more than 20 different ways to play the same melody to give your playing variety, interest and dynamics.Watch Promo to get a sneaky peek!
Have you ever played a tune a couple of times and thought - hmm, what next? How can I make this interesting?
Me too. Let me imagine you have to play a tune 20 times - can you make it different every time? And I'm not talking about improvising - that would also make it different.
No, just the melody without embellishments.
This course shows you more than 20 different ways to play a melody to give your playing variety, interest and dynamics
So here's how we will do it.
- Chordal playing
- Single notes puckered in the middle octave using second position
- Single notes puckered in the low octave using second position
- Single notes puckered in the top octave using second position
- Playing in first position in the middle octave
- Playing in first position in the low octave
- Playing in first position in the top octave
- Playing in fourth position in the middle octave
- Playing in fourth position in the other octaves
- Playing in twelfth position in the low octave
- Using tongue block (TB) single notes in different octaves
- Using TB with rhythm and TB to the left in different octaves
- Using TB with rhythm and TB to the right in different octaves
- Sonnyboy Williamson 'pull slap' style in different octaves
- Yikes - how many's that?
- Using the 'mandolin flutter' in different octaves
- Using a 'bagpipe drone' - playing one note constantly whilst playing the tune
- Playing octaves
- Playing split 3s in different octaves
- Playing it with a bluesey, gospel style
You could add other positions but let's stop there. You could also learn to play this (or any) tune in the same key but on ALL 12 harmonicas.
This is designed for intermediate players who would like to stretch their playing. Total beginners will struggle to get through this, advanced players will breeze through.
Ben Hewlett is passionate about teaching people like you how to play the harmonica really well.
He works hard using his teaching skills to figure out how he can help you get better as a player, understand more, have more fun, and he hopes you will enjoy sharing his love of the harmonica and music in general.
He has attracted 39,000 on-line harmonica students with 51,000 courses purchased and has nearly 5 thousand Youtube subscribers showing nearly 2 million views. They can't all be wrong!
Ben is the Chairman of HarmonicaUK - the community for UK harmonica players
He has been a full time Professional Harmonica Instructor since 1995
Ben is a qualified harmonica teacher and was awarded the Accredited Diatonic Harmonica Teacher Certificate in 1993 - HTAB (Harmonica Teachers Accreditation Board, supported by Lee Oskar Harmonicas, HarmonicaUK and the International Harmonica Organisation)
Ben is a qualified music workshop leader and was awarded the Certificate of Music Workshop Skills (Goldsmiths University of London) in 1995
Ben is a qualified music teacher and was awarded the Certificate of Teaching - Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in 2002 (CTABRSM)
He is lousy at speelling - getting worse actually, so do tell us if you see a typo pleese.